As so many twirlers head to USTA Nationals, AYOP and AAU Nationals, we wanted to share a few tips to make for a great competition for your favorite twirler.
1. Put your name on everything! Batons, jazz shoes, costumes, tights, make-up bags, blankets and everything else. If something gets lost, you are more likely to get that item back if your name is on it.
2. Check costumes to make sure the fit and appearance is perfect. Avoid having gaps in the back of the costume, straps that slip, elastic that shows or threads that hang. Fix those items before your child competes.
3. Encourage your twirler to drink water to stay hydrated. They are practicing a lot and it is so easy to become dehydrated so be sure to drink water throughout your workouts.
4. Get sleep! Try to have a consistent sleep schedule before competing or squeeze in a short nap at the competition. Bring a blanket and pillow to the competition to squeeze in those naps.
5. Clean your baton ends.
6. If you tape your batons, make sure your tape isn't fraying and looks clean and professional.
7. Check over your small details like hair pieces, earrings, tights to make sure that you are well stocked and ready for your performance.
8. Bring something to cover your costumes. A cover-up or warm-up is perfect for protecting your costumes from spills from your own child or from someone else's spill.
9. Warm-up and cool down after each day of competing.
10. Bring a small first aid kit with band-aids, ointment, pain killers.
Share with us your favorite tips for a great nationals!
Good luck to everyone competing these next couple of weeks. We wish you all the best of luck!